Our client is a leading global 3PL full-service logistics provider and is expanding their operation and looking to add an experienced dynamic Senior Safety Specialist to their Team. This is a high visibility role with a very competitive compensation and benefits package.
The Safety Specialist at this Logistics Facility is responsible for the development, administration, and management of the company's Safety program in accordance with Federal and State laws and regulations. The Specialist will serve to prevent, minimize and correct accident and injury producing conditions, as well as addressing safety problems to keep multiple facilities in compliance.
This position involves local travel with overnight stays.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are required:
· Completion of CAL-OSHA/OSHA compliance training.
· Knowledge and use of the JJ Keller Driver Program.
· Knowledge in Loss Control and Claims Management acquired through hands-on experience.
· Basic understanding of State of California Workers Compensation laws and reporting requirements.
· Basic knowledge in DOT, BIT, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
· Must have warehouse and transportation industry experience.
· Management experience.
· Experience with regulatory agencies required (DOT, OSHA, etc.).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Develop, publish, and implement staff safety training, policies and safety programs (IIPP, PPE’s, etc.).
· Responsible for the development and implementation of safety recordkeeping systems. (OSHA logs, OSHA 300A, OSHA Electronic Injury and Illness Data Reporting).
· Direct oversight of auditing, reporting, safety inspections, administering safety policies and procedures, and implementing safety training programs in compliance with local, state, and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations.
· Work with Corporate and local management on accident/incident investigations and reports of employee injuries and vehicular incidents.
· Involved in Trucking Associations and keeping management informed of new regulations.
· Inspects organization facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, determines corrective or preventative measures where indicated, and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented.
· Provides information, signs, posters, barriers, and other materials to warn of potential and actual safety hazards and to prevent access to hazardous conditions.
· Leads the investigation of accidents, injuries, and cooperates in the preparation of material and evidence for organization use in hearings, lawsuits, and insurance investigations.
· Compiles and submits accident reports required by regulatory agencies.
· Maintains safety files and records.
· Responsible for controlling hazardous working conditions and unsafe employee activities through interface with the Business Unit Managers, management and supervisory personnel.
· Conducts monthly walk-through for safety inspections of the warehouse areas to determine compliance with company rules and regulation as needed.
· Complete reports of inspections in a timely manner documenting any noted deficiencies and follow up to ensure corrective action.
· Ensures that all warehouse equipment meets safety regulations and that all equipment and tools are used correctly by employees.
· Directs and designs the topics of the monthly staff safety training in accordance with the Company and CAL-OSHA, WISHA, and OSHA safety programs.
· Investigates any accident, incident and near miss occurring on the jobsite and completes all required documentation on a timely basis.
· Attends to Port and Trucking association meetings in Washington and California keeping management inform and updated.
· Acts as liaison between PCC, Federal and State agencies in all safety related areas.
· Ability to create SOP’s, policies, etc. for the Safety Department.
· Actively interact with employees to promote a culture of safety.
· Develop company Driver Daily Vehicle Inspection Reports (DVIR) to ensure compliance with local, State, and Federal regulations governing our industry.
· Develop process to stay up-to-date and implement necessary changes according to the laws and regulations of our industry.
· Responsible to ensure compliance with all regulations and record keeping concerning driver hours of service, vehicle maintenance, driver fitness, etc.
· Ensure driver files are up-to date and maintained according to DOT regulations
· Ensure drug and alcohol testing program is in full compliance.
· Ensure timely renewal of all driver qualifications (License and proper endorsements, hazardous material training, medical card, 90-day inspection, insurance, registration, etc.).
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Compliance and Safety experience
· Risk Assessment skills
· Strategic thinking and problem solving
· Teamwork Orientation
· Ability to work on own initiative
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ATTRIBUTES:
· Candidate will be detail and service oriented with good organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks among many competing requests.
· Will possess excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language, outstanding interpersonal and people skills, be service-oriented and a true team player.
· Should be flexible and able to adapt easily in a fast-paced work environment.
· Candidate will have computer experience with Windows, Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook.
· Ability to communicate with other team members, visitors and customers in an effective, pleasant, courteous and tactful manner.
Please forward your resume as soon as possible and all qualified candidates will be contacted immediately.
Empire Workforce Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer